PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Phantom stories out there?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2012, 00:23
Ant T

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts
From my post #35 -

Wasn't there a "I Learnt About Flying" report once about an F4 in the Falklands that landed with aerial wire caught on the fin, shortly followed shortly by a call from an irate farmer who'd had his aerial ripped out by a low flying aircraft?
True story, but there was no "call from an irate farmer". The farmers were my father-in-law and brother-in-law, my wife took a photo of the rear half of the Phantom as it disappeared behind the house, taking out the ham radio aerial - so 30 ft is about right!! When the investigating team arrived, asking questions about when the wire had been broken, they all denied any knowledge of the flyby. Flybys were definitely encouraged and that farm would never complain. Used to get some pretty spectacular Herc flybys there too, up the valley behind the shearing shed, sadly times have changed, and lucky to get the occasional 250' pass now............
I have just scanned the photo - I had not remembered it quite right, the aircraft was not quite disappearing behind the house, but not far off it !!

(Yes Exmil - as you said above, it is Biffo's photo)

Last edited by Ant T; 14th Nov 2012 at 09:20. Reason: Credit photographer........