PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerovan crash, Manchester, 1957
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 19:45
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would have been the Aerovan. It had a big stubby short fuselage, a thin high tail boom, and a tripple tail. Here's a picture of Sierra Foxtrot, the one in this accident.

Miles M.57 Aerovan IV, G-AISF, Meridian Air Maps

It's plain to see there'd be little protection for the pilot in the event of collision with anything substantial!

I remember the DC3 crash (a newpaper flight, carb ice, crashed on t/o) and the Viscount at Shadow Moss Rd (flap bolt failure, crashed into houses on short final), and the went on my bicycle to view the aftermath of the British Midland Argonaught crash in Stockport (fuel selector lever mechanism worn allowing fuel starvation).

I well remember the old Wilmslow Road as well, and the traffic control barriers at the end of 06. One morning while passing on the bus to school there was a Caravelle that had gone off the end of 24 on landing and was stuck in the soft ground between the 06 threshold and the road.

Interestingly if you follow the old road from the Romper pub it ends at a crash gate just before the Runway Visitor Park. The road actually continues inside the airfield fence, and in 2003 I was invited to fly our Chipmunk into Manchester as part of the 100 years of flight celebrations at the viewing park. I landed long and taxied off 24R (as it still was back then) onto a 'light aircraft taxyway' which was actually that old Wilmslow - Altrincham road!

It seemed odd to be taxying an aeroplane down the same bit of road (complete with faded central white line) that I used to cycle down as a schoolboy!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 13th Nov 2012 at 20:00.