PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 18:33
Ron Cake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CoffmanStarter

I didn't catch the Rod Stewart performance at the Festival of Remberance but I can imagine the embarrassment it must have caused. I did, however see the 'three cheers for Her Majesty' bit at the end.

Now it's easy to be amused by the rituals of other military cultures. Think the changing of the guard at the India /Pakistan border with its exaggerated strutting to and fro or the Monty Pythonesque drill movements of the Greek National guard. The Russian Army's high stepping march is another example. And then there's the army (Belgian?)that marches past the saluting base at the DOUBLE as if they're trying to be first in the NAAFI queue. And to emphasise the point, I confess to having SLOW marched the length of Lincoln Cathedral bearing the 27 Sqn standard. I'm sure it looked quite outlandish to any unfamiliar with Service drill (and, quite possibly, to anyone else who witnessed it it)

But 'Three Cheers' as a drill movemnt ???. You don't have to share my iconoclastic views to see the irony in this.

Such spontaneity.