PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe US Pilot Shortage! Once bitten, Twice shy! Are we going take the bate??
Old 13th Nov 2012, 17:35
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic imbalance between costs and revenues. I trained in the States several years ago and there are plenty of Americans who want to fly - plenty of flight schools and aviation colleges. Challenge is that the expense of funding ratings is far too high compared with the initial salaries at the US regionals needed to pay off said ratings. Plus, constant fear of layoffs. Who wants $150K of debt and a $25K yearly salary for years. Not worth it for many I have been told.

From a Middle East perspective, makes you wonder how many EK, QR and other pilots in the region are willing to give up their shiney widebodies for an FO seat on a 737 or DC9 and wallow for years and years at the bottom of a slow-moving seniority list? I read that the upgrade time at Southwest Airlines is projected to be near 20 years after the AirTran merger. Friend told me about someone he knows who has flown the old DC9 as an FO at Delta/Northwest for the last 5 years with little progression (although his flying skills have improved with that analog flying). You can also thank the Age 65 rulings in the states for stunting career progression.

Who would leave EK for that type of slow career progression? Certainly not as appealing as it used to be...