PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engined take off in a Gulfstream!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 17:11
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windypops

Short version.

It's a modern turboprop single v any older piston turboprop twin thing, Part 23 certification refers.

The temptation for the pilot to chance his arm with a continuation of a take off is not available and concentrates his/her mind wonderfully in doing what he/she should always do, land more or less straight ahead in the least worst area in front of him/her.

Is the operative reason.

The modern turboprop singles mostly use the ultrareliable PT6 series turbo prop engines.

Also their cabin and seating arangements are generally stressed to 25g which for those types whose stall speed by the certification rules cannot be more than 61kts or so, means that all other things being equal you will most likely walk away from a properly controlled off airport landing.

ALL Part 23 twins i.e.<12,500 lbs/5700kgs have marginal single engine performance if at all beyond a required EFATO positive rate (+50fpm) they may do better but they are not required to demonstrate it. The manufacturers generally advise that continued flight after or during take off is the least desirable option. The only in flight single engine performance they are required to demonstrate is maintaining level flight (+50 fpm) at 5,000ft in ISA.

Pilot (usually single) mishandling of an failure in these twin types more often than not results in the live engine taking him to a bad place at high speed often upside down. Survivability is now improbable. He should concentrates his/her mind wonderfully in doing what he/she should always do, land more or less straight ahead in the least worst area in front of him/her. Cabin and seats are only stressed to I think 9g and if you are lucky you should walk away.

Higher pilot experience may mitigate the result but, unlike Part 25 transport category types (requires 2 crew) you are relying on him getting everything exactly right in a relatively very short period of time, unlike Part 25 operations where the crew should basically sit on their hands and fly it away until they get to transition.

Problem is the experience thing just happens to be upside down, i.e. the least experienced pilots tend to be flying the piston and turboprop twin types that require the most.

Hence my comment above.

Goes quiet, all he has to do is maintain control and find the least worst area in front of him to land in, and, continue to fly the aircraft until the crashing noise stops. It might not be pretty but the insurance company now owns the aircraft so party on.