PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why 2 pilots for a single pilot certified A/C
Old 13th Nov 2012, 12:30
usakalamba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the co-pilot from cockpit

Thank you for all of your replies....I am doing my MSc thesis which is a conceptual design of a business jet aircraft and I am specifically focusing into very light jets with a passenger capability of 4-5 passengers, range of not more than 1500 nm, weight not more than 10000 pounds. Similar to Diamond D-Jet, Cirrus SF50 type of aircraft (Far 23, CS-23 requirement). I am currently doing the market analysis and preparing the specifications. My supervisor wants specifically just a single pilot...I just wanted to know if there were any regulations...seems like removing the co-pilot from the cockpit is possible from all of your answers but a big gamble in terms of selling the aircraft...Here is my conclusions for single pilot operations

advantages
Low cost of not hiring the co-pilot
Small amount of drag decrease in the front section by removing the seat

Disadvantages
operational inflexibility (specially landing at bigger airports, IFR flying)
High insurance cost
High probability of accidents
Cannot train the pilot in the same aircraft

I guess this is why even though the aircraft is certified for a single pilot operation they don't remove the co-pilot seat to allow for flexibility for the operator and since the market for this type of aircraft is still being experimented manufacturers don't want to take a gamble. The disadvantages seems to outweigh the advantages. What are your thoughts did I miss any other possible advantages...