PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerovan crash, Manchester, 1957
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 08:49
Baley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miles Aerovan crash

Hi, as i was 11 years old at the time, the plane only turned over on its back and did not roll or break up and it was the road that went from Hale to Wilmslow this was the road that had the traffic control barrier.
The aircraft had twin fins and twin engines and it was 1957, we were stood further along the fence near Fairey this was not far from the Army Tank training ground.
At least Three people climbed out of the aircraft and stood on the back of it, i would imagine there was substantial damage to the cockpit and front of the aircraft as the perimeter fence was a stout metal one.
It could have been another accident that is not reported but it seems like the Aerovan, there was even a light aircraft sticking out of the ground behind our scout hut for a few days this does not show up on any reports? this was at the other end of the runway off Ringway road.
I also saw the Viscount crash this was 1957 i was stood in the school playground{ Shadow Moss},
I lived a stones throw from the runway, i even went inside the DC3 that had crashed at Heyhead i was 5 at the time when kids were safe to play out, a farmer chased us off.
A few years later i watched the fire service torch a Swordfish and an Avro Anson for fire practice, if you find out any more on what i think was the Aerovan please let me know.