PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you pay for a type rating?
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 03:01
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub in the context of this forum being for 200 hour wannabes, it's not really true to say that BA or Monarch are on the radar is it ... correct me if I'm wrong because I don't really follow cadet schemes these days but it's either pre selected and trained from zero as a cadet, or already got a few thousand hours experience?

When's the last time either of those companies took a non typed 200 hour hero, who wasn't paying through the nose via CTC or something similar?
Sorry Luke, but are you serious?

This forum is for 200 hour wannabes. The only 200 hour pilots these type of airlines are likely to ever give consideration to are through their "cadet" programmes. Beyond that, wannabes are likely to have a great deal more than 200 hours! Outside of these programmes, most wannabes are likely to be looking at the stepping stone jobs such as flight instruction, general aviation, etc.

The requirements for a CPL were reduced from 700 hours to 200 hours with the introduction of JAR, in order to align the "aerial work" nature of the licence with that existing in the USA and most of the rest of the world. It was not to grant a 70% reduction in the basic airline qualification that satisfied a non-existent requirement.

Nothing new in this, it has always been the case. For consideration in a first tier airline the routes have always been: Cadet; career improver; military leaver. These two airlines, and many others, have always recruited from these sources.

When's the last time either of those companies took a non typed 200 hour hero, who wasn't paying through the nose via CTC or something similar?
Never. Why would they? Where is the requirement? However these companies do recruit from the established routes into airlines. They do provide the type ratings without up-front charges. The terms and conditions reflect the level of applicant sought.

Paying for a type rating is highly speculative unless it is part of an overall employment package. A type rating that doesn't fit in with a relevant history will simply raise a "red flag" with most reputable employers. For example somebody with a type rating acquired through a reputable source, who has then worked with an equally reputable carrier for perhaps one season as a cadet before that employment ended, is likely to viewed as a very different animal from somebody with 200 hours and a CPL/IR who then went and paid for a type rating and experience with some dodgy company specializing in those things. There simply isn't any need to give consideration to the latter.

There are many reputable airlines (in other airlines eyes,) who may charge up-front fees for type ratings to both cadets and more experienced pilots. However a few don't, and within the context of the question on this thread the answer was perfectly valid. I have been saying this for many years on these forums now.

Once again, there are opportunities for 200 hour pilots to have their type ratings paid for by both of these companies and others. I would counter that "paying through the nose" needs to put into context when it results in employment that allows the amortization of training costs in around 5 years, a free type rating and a good career to boot. Obviously that is the top end of the training tree, and far from most peoples experience.

If you are a 200 hour wannabe and any airline is seriously considering employing you by "virtue" of paying for your own type rating, then frankly I would jump at the offer. Given that no reputable first tier airline has ever (outside of recognised apprenticeship programmes) had such a requirement, it would be simply be too good an offer to refuse. Therin might lie the problem!