PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was this really the only way of dealing with this...?
Old 12th Nov 2012, 20:35
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this conjecturing is muddying up the waters and...

As is any law that prosecutes an honest man doing what any reasonable person would do.
...indeed, a true statement, but utterly irrelevant to the case at hand.

There are two issues.

Was a crime committed. Answer yes, mate pleaded guilty.

Was the sentence appropriate given the mitigation. Answer, we don't know, because we are not privvy to the full facts. Neither are the media or anybody outside the legal teams/judge. In fact, if you have ever participated in a court martial as a defending officer, you will know that even the "jury" (that's the 3 officers sitting next to the QC) don't get to see the full unredacted evidence.

But if it is considered a "harsh or unusual" punishment, his legal team will appeal it.

I say again, the person that could have changed things was the arresting officer.
In years gone by maybe, but increasingly plod (military and civil) are going to be held accountable if they don't play it by the book.

Somewhat trivial compared to the case in hand, but just before I left the mob, I drove off base, realised I had left my left my wallet in MQ and u-turned back into the main gate. Gate guard duly stopped me..I explained...he told me to stay still and fetched duty plod who promptly went into the full monty caution... "anything you say blah blah ****ing blah", (for not having my ID on me)

The wife and kids thought it was hilarious...and looking back so do I. But also a little bit sad.

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 12th Nov 2012 at 20:44.