PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SW off Runway at Denver
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:51
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southwest Taxi Speeds in one phrase:

Pilots have been known to say on the radio, when observing a fast taxiing (is there any other kind) of southwest airliner:

VEE ONE.

Its as simple as this...USUSALLY the concentration of airport workers is to clear the runway of slush etc. taxiways take a back seat.

the best advice is to come to a complete stop on the runway centerline and then maneuver very, very slowly off the runway onto a taxiway that is likely much more slippery....also keeping your hand on the throttles in case you have to reverse thrust.

flying as copilot about 22 years ago on a DC9 landing in Buffalo New York, the captain landed fine and then took a taxiway exit at a great speed, EVEN THOUGH I HAD BRIEFED HIM ON THE ATIS WHICH WARNED THE TAXIWAYS were reporting poor braking.

WE started sliding and had to use reverse thrust to stop. The captain sheepishly looked at me and said: I guess I took that exit too fast.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

it was nice to see that the southwest pilot didn't use the evacuation slides/chutes and there were portable stairs to allow egress.

that's another pet peeve of mine as you frequent ppruners know.