PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2012, 16:53
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, newbie "CPL/IR's" are not generally "cadets" until they are placed on a relevant cadet programme. "best part of a 1000" I don't have precise numbers, but I understood it to be around 20- 24 every couple of months. That would be about 260 "ish" annually? That makes the odds look a bit prettier I guess. Not forgetting, this is just one employer being considered. There are a few, all of whom have differing requirements and offer different terms.

(allowing for your connection with a training provider!).
Presumably, you mean the airlines connection?

Not a bad gamle with £100k of your parents money.
Of the loan repayment schedules that have been shown to me by the cadets themselves, I have yet to see one anywhere near that figure. The average has been closer to the £80,000 mark, with total course costs (living etc. around £85,000.) Of course this is when (as in this example) there are no type rating costs for the candidate, which would then add another sizeable chunk.

Of the above sums, around 10% was repaid to the placed cadet in cash for subsistance support (over and above what the airline paid by way of allowances,) for the placement period. The base salary (excluding allowances and overtime) for those cadets now on full time employment contracts, represents about 23 months earnings. That should enable the debt to be sensibly repaid in around 5-7 years on tax advantageous terms.

Yes, it is a gamble, and yes these are still eyewatering sums of money. However if you want to be "in the right place," you could make significantly worse choices!