PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's been some time....
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2003, 08:26
GroundBound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my PPL in 1966 and managed to acquire the magnificent total of 42 hours by 1968. Then it all went quiet for over 30 years, due lack of money and time and opportunity.

I climbed back into a light aircraft in October 2001 - and not a type I had flown before. This was at a moderate sized airport with regular passenger traffic, in Class A airspace.

To my horror and astonishment, the instructor sat quietly by as I taxied between the Ba46'S and just let me get on with it. I didn't even know the target speeds...

Full power, 60kts, the aeroplane obviously wanting to fly, so stick back, hold 70kts - seemed reasonable (check your T's and Ps please), and lo and behold I could still do it. A bit ragged of course, and the first turn was a bit unsteady, but it all came flooding back.

By the end of the hour I actually felt I could fly it - not as smoothly as required, but it was probably better than a first solo.

Did another 25 hours to get the PPL renewed, and now fly as regularly as the pocket book will allow.

Yes, a three month lay off does take the edge off one's sharpness but once back in the air it all feels right again.