PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC
Thread: IMC
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2012, 13:36
BEagle

Received 329 Likes on 115 Posts
If I have to have converted my JAR-FCL PPL(A) with IMCR to EASA by 8 Apr 2014 in order to have an IR(R) added to it, will the CAA contact me to remind me or do I have to initiate this? (If you know!)
If you haven't converted your JAR-FCL PPL(A) + IMCR to a Part-FCL PPL(A) with IR(R) before 8 Apr 2014, you won't be able to exercise IMCR privileges on EASA aeroplanes between then and the date when you do convert. Although you will be able to exercise such privileges on suitably non-EASA Annex II aeroplanes.

So, in your case you either convert a couple of years before your JAR-FCL PPL(A) expires and keep your IMCR / IR(R) privileges on both EASA and non-EASA aeroplanes - or, if you're not bothered about IMCR privileges on EASA aeroplanes for a couple of years, then you can wait if you like. It's your choice!

soaringhigh650, the UK IMCR is a rating which has proved entirely safe for whatever purpose the holder has decided to use it. For about 40 years.

This nonsense about it being a 'get you home after inadvertant IMC encounter' is utter rubbish... For example, FIs very often use it to acheive VMC above cloud to teach early attitude flying exercises, then drop down through the cloud for recovery. You should NOT need a full IR for that sort of activity!

The privileges and limitations of the IMCR / IR(R) are commensurate with the training and theoretical knowledge requirements; unfortunately the rating was very poorly explained to EASA at the time when they were drawing up their "Ein Volk, eine Regel!" regulations....