PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 23:59
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys (Capt) fly as F/O's: never...sometimes....50%....not anywhere near enough to soak up the experience and knowledge....or something extra??
Yes, capts do fly as FOs. Before the joining of AJV & AJX there was a lot of capt/capt flying on the freighter but a lot less so on the pax side of things. Nowadays I reckon about 40ish% of my flying is in the right seat but I think that will reduce a bit as there are more FOs coming through the training pipeline.

Judging by what I've seen so far, I don't think an influx of QF guys will cause any 'cultural' snags whatsoever. Everybody that's passed the course very quickly learnt to do things the way the Japanese want it done, no matter how ridiculous some of it is and realise they're not interested in the way other airlines operate and are not going to change anything based on what the interlopers suggest. Of course we occasionally moan about it, especially when we know there's better ways of doing things but it's not rocket science to realise it's their trainset. While chatting there are sometimes remarks that begins with "In United/USAir/BA/Ansett/Maersk/JAL" etc but they are innocuous conversational statements and, so far, I've never heard "AJX should do it this way because that's the way we did it in XXXX". I'm absolutely positive the QF guys will have some ideas of how AJX could do things differently but I'm also sure they'll do as the rest of us do; fly the aircraft the way AJX want it flown and leave the "In Qantas" stuff for conversations, where we can all learn from the experience of others.

As for the 'entertaining', that's going well so far and long may it continue

Last edited by Fratemate; 12th Nov 2012 at 00:01.