PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 11:32
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Savoia

And yes ... I did manage a non-damaging 60 knot run-on landing. As I have said elsewhere, the problem occurred at high power when the up-going T/R blade intercepted the left hand T/R control cable. In my case the loose end wrapped itself around the T/R transmission which then seized.The Enstrom factory had experienced a few similar failures on crop spraying ops. The fix was to move the cable outlet point closer to the tail cone centre line increasing blade clearance and also increasing the tension on the T/R control turnbuckles plus a pilot pre-flight check for oil-softened blade flapping stops.

I completed a further 13 years of trouble free displays but suffered the same failure again at the 1999 Biggin Hill Air Fare. My fault for not checking ... as the local engineers didn't know about the 'Kenyon Hole' modification or the flapping stops. But with a fair number of T/R failure practices behind me, I again managed a non-damaging landing. Now approaching 1400 public displays with no further problems. Keep the nostalgia flowing guys. Dennis K.