PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How fulfilling is the airline route??
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 11:07
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, we have been hearing warnings about fuel shortages and mammoth price rises for years. I suspect the reality is that prices will steadily rise but will be dampened by efficiency gains and technological change. I reckon the aviation industry will evolve but will be substantially the same in thirty years time.

Back to the point of this thread. In my humble opinion - and I say this to every new pilot with whom I share the flightdeck - the most important thing in life is to remember that you only live it once. There is little to be gained from living with regret that you didn't make the most of your time on earth. Aim for your dream job. At least you tried.

The second most important thing is that you look forward to going to work and enjoy your daily working environment. You spend nearly half your awake time at work. If you don't enjoy it, change career if you possibly can. It's not good to simply 'put up with it'; you have to be happy.

I worked as a lawyer for years and although I was good at it and worked with some great people I never felt comfortable with the idea that sitting at that desk was 'my lot' for the next forty years. I suffered from work related stress and hated the thought that my entire life story would be defined by my job as paper-pushing lawyer.

I do not regret changing career to be a pilot. I love the day job. If I won the lottery I would not resign as, if I did, I would never get to fly an airliner again. GA flying wouldn't fill that gap. Like all pilots except the lucky few who revel in old school terms and conditions, I bemoan my low pay and the revolting immoral people running my airline, but I'm happy enough on a daily basis. Would I encourage people to join the profession? No.