PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie questions
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 02:00
syncrofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SR22 v 337

Above all I want to be safe. The whole parachute thing seems handy if I were to have a heart attack or something.... although far from certain safety I suppose.... if the multi-engine is the way to go, that's why I'm asking on these boards.

I've been looking at maintenance costs, airspeeds, and finally got a better nm measurement. My destination is actually closer to 700 NM. I've taken your point on upgrades fuel costs and maintenance in the cost differential. I'm currently trying to put together a spreadsheet that helps figure this all out.

The 337 is a lot more attractive on the upfront cost front. The fuel management with the extended tanks seems to kill a lot of rookies though.

I'm glad it doesn't sounds totally insane to start training in my future aircraft as soon as I can.

The whole pressurization thing? I've seen different pilots with a lot of hours talk about going for the turbo models with a cieling of 29K and the masks, vs the pressurized versions that cap out at 20K. In the short term pressurization seems to quiet the 337 down in the cabin which sounds nice. It seems most experienced pilots like to get above the weather and its overall smoother up there, and with the right aircraft faster. If my end game is passenger comfort pressurization seems preferable but I don't know the real difference between 20 and 26K for example. Any opinion?

If I find an air school I like, and I intend to get Private, IFR, and Multi-Engine you think the training is more efficient? Do some of the hours potentially overlap?

And lastly, and I know this is subjective.... I know there are lots of solos before before I even get my basic license. When do most pilots become more than competent.... ie. tested from a vets perspective... Can I feel good about taking on passengers at 500 hours? I'm guessing everyone's different but a little bit of guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading through all that stuff and helping me with my concerns.

Kind regards