PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conscientious Objection
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2003, 00:55
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,693 Likes on 778 Posts
I make a case, you ask "did you watch the telly".

No, I'm half a world away, and the talking heads on TV here disagree (and there are more channels!).

I at least took the time to make a case. You either can't refute it or can't even be bothered to attempt to. I pointed out that, if you were right, a formal charge would have been brought over the attacks made over the past 10 years. There haven't. How do you counter this?

As for quotes about war:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill

We make war that we may live in peace
- Aristotle

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

Moral indignation is in most cases 2% moral, 48% indignation and 50% envy.
- Vittorio de Sica.

The fact that slaughter [battle] is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but [it does] not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later someone will come along with a sharp sword and hack off our arms.
- Carl Von Clausewitz

The justest dispositions possible in ourselves, will not secure us against it [war]. It would be necessary that all other nations were just also. Justice indeed, on our part, will save us from those wars which would have been produced by a contrary disposition. But how can we prevent those produced by the wrongs of other nations? By putting ourselves in a condition to punish them. Weakness provokes insult and injury, while a condition to punish often prevents them.
- Thomas Jefferson

There. Didn't prove much did it?

Last edited by ORAC; 24th Jan 2003 at 01:13.