PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 13:31
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginning of the year I spent several months researching and closing the purchase of a Gulfstream.

CASA Part A maintenance requirement as for Qantas.

I had the privilege of working alongside one of the most experienced US engineers in the business and with whom I have worked for many years.

There was much poring over log books and reconciling of flight records.

The vast majority of the operators were as expected 100%, no short cuts, 100% integrity, outside MEL grounded wherever, until fixed.

What was important for us to establish was the integrity of the "signature", pilot and engineers alike, on the flight and maintenance documentation.

Sounds self evident, but sadly not necessarily so. Forensic analysis, experienced listening and a bit of a chat generally gave up the lie if there was one.

We had the notion reinforced beyond any doubt that at the end of the day this whole business depends absolutely like no other on the integrity of that process. I have never had an Australian LAME act otherwise.

I used to think that the Austalian system was right up there at this level.

This thread suggests a breakdown of this integrity on the pilot, management, regulatory side.

Are we at risk of adding an Australian high capacity airline to the list of Royal Commisions, that includes, Seaview, Monarch, Whyalla, Lockhart River and so on.