PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hadley page herald and f27
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 12:17
Turnberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few more memories of Air UK F27s to add to the above:

- first few days as a new command on the F27 and losing all of the contents of the main pneumatic bottle somewhere over the North Sea whilst inbound to Amsterdam. Once the gear had been lowered it would mean, in theory, that we couldn't raise it again. As Amsterdam was 200' overcast we decided to divert to a slightly more favourable Humberside. Interestingly, the main pneumatic bottle started to charge again once we had lowered the gear as the original leak was in the UP line of the undercarriage.

- as mentioned earlier, the gearbox warning light was a manual shutdown if illuminated. This was necessary to protect the accessory gearbox on the F27 as the was no fire protection there. First experience of this was, again, during my first few weeks of command. Light illuminated on final approach to Newcastle - we decided to delay the shutdown until after we had landed.

- the F27 was noticeably faster than the 748, as well. Followed a BA 'Budgie' out of Edinburgh one evening and overhauled him within the first twenty minutes. I believe that, as with the Herald, we had about 30-40 kts speed advantage over him.

- with hindsight, I believe all initial crosswind training for an F27 should have been performed on an Auster or Super Cub or similar - anything more than about 8 knots across I would give it full into wind aileron and full opposite rudder. This seemed to keep it tracking,beautifully, down the centreline on landing.

- my first inflight shutdown of a Dart engine occurred a few weeks before I completed my last flight on the F27. A control rod that was the direct linkage to the FCU on the left side of the starboard Dart engine had snapped at the eye-end. This meant that the engine was operating at minimum power with no throttle control. Manual shutdown as per QRH. Years later, I still don't think I have recovered from the unscheduled Southampton nightstop.

- being invited to take part in the Dutch Friendship Association's 40th Anniversary of the first flight of the F27. You don't get many opportunities to fly around the Netherlands, for two hours, in formation with five other F27s. Abiding memory was, shortly after getting airborne from Schiphol, in a left turn, glancing over my left shoulder and seeing the Dutch Air Force F27 tucked up under my port wing - stunning!

- carrying a CAA Flight Ops Inspector with us on the jumpseat for a couple of sectors. He didn't say much but, before he left us and disembarked in Southampton, he stated that he "wished all new airline pilots could get the chance to fly an aircraft such as this before moving on to bigger things."

Happy memories.

Last edited by Turnberry; 10th Nov 2012 at 12:26.