PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 11:13
unseen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need for some meddling engineer to come along and impose their self beliefs
Provocative statement mr MP - engineers are trained to be proactive in their assessments and investigations. I want the engineers to be sticklers for the rules and have confidence in their ability to determine if an aircraft is airworthy or not. If engineering management feels that individual LAMEs are unjustly grounding or delaying aircraft then there will be discussions I am sure. Just as I don't let myself get pushed around when in the air, I don't pressure LAMEs into letting me depart in questionable circustances. Even if I tried to do so, every LAME I have ever worked with would not back down.

What about when they see fit to seek the advice of maintenance watch and write as such in the report field on the way back.
That is the documented procedure. There appears to be a lot of argy bargy between the LAMEs and maintenance watch. If that is a problem then that is an internal engineering issue and nothing to do with flight crew - sort it out.

What about when they fly back with the above such statement and the aircraft is grounded on arrival with a major defect ?
See previous - if maintenance watch is not doing the right thing that is an internal engineering issue. We as flight crew have to be able to trust those who are put in positions of advice and guidance in the engineering world, otherwise the whole system will break down.

What about when they write words to the effect of 'this happened on the way over and also on the way back' ?

What about when an MEL is applied and the (M) action is carried out by the pilot ?
Both inexcusable and worthy of tea and bickies with the boss.