PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hadley page herald and f27
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 11:08
p1fel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great summary JB, only a top trainer would pen!

Am I correct the 'reduction gear chattering' was also known as 'lay shaft chatter'?

Oh that min 40 psi torque!!

Having to 'milk' the HP cock lever to prevent overtemp on engine start.

And what about the moving of the HP cock levers in the cruise to/from lock out. Great care and monitoring needed there.

Another issue was the RR Dart gearbox on the FK27 if over filled with oil, it had a habit of venting the oil out. Red oil pressure light requiring a rapid shutdown to protect the gearbox from damage.

Interesting landing uphill runway 28 into a very strong wind at LBA, had to be quick from selecting ground fine to get the control locks in, avoid touching the brakes before applying power to prevent rolling backwards.

Pneumatic system, minimum 1500/1500/2500 psi before take off. System leaked pressure in cold overnight conditions. Either system had to be bottle charged or wait ages with the engines running to charge to min's.

Also a throttle lever linkage broke on one of the Friendships to one of our colleagues.

The worst incident was a rudder bracket break which was well handled by one of our former colleagues who diverted into Creil. I'll leave it to my friend and former colleague to comment if he wishes to.

Although the friendship was undoubtedly a slicker machine than the Herald, it certainly had its faults.

Last edited by p1fel; 14th Nov 2012 at 16:44. Reason: spelling