PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-22 Rescues Model P-51 from Trees
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 10:07
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder (not very much, actually) how different the tone of this thread would be if any one of a number of events had occurred during that extraordinary display of cowboy showing off.

Demonstrating to a stude that extemporising a completely unbriefed and un-assessed procedure on the spur of the moment is anything other than foolish - life and limb excluded, and a toy aeroplane, even if it is a P51(Wow!) is not that.

Didn't hear a syllable of a brief, mention of wind, obstructions, power margin - I could go on. Just, "You grab the wing" as we go into a free air hover in a treetop, take our straps off and lean out the door

Sticking the skids right into a tree? Catch a branch and try a dynamic rollover at 80ft? 2 dead for a toy. Foolhardy in the extreme.

No mention of the effect of downdraft on the model. What if it got picked up - it is an aerodynamic thing - and went through the rotor? A totally unpredictable scenario - that alone should have been enough to put them off.

Ditto on the ground though consequences less serious.

Allowing strangers to wander uncontrolled under the disk, and apparently unconcerned about it.

"Do we have permission to land?" Of course! Not.

"Those guys are f*****g trippin". Who exactly was tripping I wonder? One huge foolish, ill thought out ego trip imho. How many counts of reckless endangerment there I wonder? Several.

What was the instructor's name? Mitty, W?

Instructor? Doing that on a lesson? Sheet! There may well be cultural differences in the way helos are operated from one place to another but I watched that vid in total disbelief. In the UK I think he'd be savagely prosecuted on several counts for that, and rightly so imho.