PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How fulfilling is the airline route??
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 08:17
fade to grey

GA is great if you have a decent career on the side. If I was a GP earning £4m a month, I'd buy an extra and forget the airlines.GA only pays well if you have a good biz jet rating, but it's a very uncertain world.

Having been made redundant twice, I'm afraid the dream has tarnished a bit, not much, just a bit. I still like all things flying but I'm realistic - this is a profession, hence I am in it for professional remuneration .

There is a point I have seen alot of the the young FOs reach after about 2 years, when the Rose glasses slip and they realise that , for alot of the time, this is ' boring'. I don't know what they expected, but day to day this is not hand flying, this is operating an airliner ( don't want to restart that debate).

Personally I enjoy the view and being reasonably paid whilst attractive ladies serve me tea and coffee, flying a C310 into a short strip surrounded by hills may be ' real' flying but don't overlook how much more dangerous that would be. Having reached the age of 40 I'll leave that to the young thrusters.