PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie questions
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 01:13
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me be a lot less pessimistic than the other posters here.

Yes, it will cost about 20K to get a PPL with an Instrument Rating, but that's not that much money in the grand scheme of things. The IR is essential for all weather dispatchability. But here's where it differs - you can get into a very capable all weather twin, with weather radar, full de-ice, even pressurisation, that will cost 100K to buy. That's a savings of 500K compared to a new Cirrus. Not only will it be faster and more capable, but also much safer. A multi engine rating is a quick rating and can be done in a few days. I would never fly mountains or oceans in a single, especially not at night. Downside is that you'll be paying a little more in fuel and maintenance, but that's a small price to pay for your safety. 500K buys you a lot of fuel and maintenance, btw. Twins are dead cheap at the moment and you get insane amounts of aircraft for your money if you go down this route. In fact, you can get a fully de-iced and pressurised Cessna 337 for 80K at the very bottom of the market. Aero Commanders, Aerostars, Senecas, P-Barons, 310s, 414's, 421's await you just in the bracket above.

You will have to build some experience and some confidence (it's no joke doing hard IMC and approaches to minimums when you're green), but part of your training will build that and the rest will follow naturally over time. I wouldn't bring loved ones along on the first hard IMC rides, though. Take your time to build your skills.