PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 00:56
Danny42C

Lawful (?) Commands and Sad Partings.

Chugalug,

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to over-sentimentalise a few tons of alloy, perspex, rubber and wiring. I think I may know the field at Strubby where your old friend was laid to rest before going to its fiery Valhalla - better than chopping up for scrap, I would have thought.

Strubby was my first posting as an airtrafficker, we spent the first three years of our married life in Mablethorpe. The posting was, of course, to Manby: Strubby was just the flying satellite: although it had its own little Mess I don't think there were any single officers' quarters - they would all be at Manby. But there was airmen's (hutted) accommodation and a Mess at the place.

In later years I have sometimes mused on 225 Group's threat of Court Martial to enforce their order. I think it was probably bluff; so when I showed fight they climbed down. In the administrative chaos of those days the last thing they needed was an onerous extra task. There would be no certainty that AHQ Delhi would grant permission in the circumstances.

Many years later I was a member of a Court at Acklington. After it was finished, I mentioned my case (over a quiet "half" in the pub where they put us up) to the Asst. J.A.G. His opinion was that they would have had no more than a one-third chance of a conviction: no AOC would go ahead on that. As you say, my defence would have been: "an unlawful command".

Cheers,

Danny.

Union Jack,

Very many thanks for your cordial greetings, and the complimentary remarks about my offerings on the Thread. Sadly, I think that all the old ones in the woodwork have come out already, but I live in hope !

I shall now allow myself a small sherry,

Goodnight, Danny.