PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 00:40
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it smells like sh#t and looks like sh#t then it probably is sh#t.

I don't think some people here understand what I believe to be Steve's methods.
The system is f#cked, hundreds of jobs (and the majority are NOT redundant positions, they are being made to look redundant due to clever PR and spin) are going, along with hundreds before.
Planes have moving parts, moving parts break, broken parts need fixing. The rhetoric that all these jobs need axing due to more modern technological aircraft is crap. A restructuring perhaps, yes. Change is part of life. But mass redundancies based on more modern planes? Bollocks.

Is it normal to allow 93% of defects to be reported one way and 7% the other? Even CASA didn't give a cods wad about this when we wrote to them. This industry needs oversight and nobody is providing it. Things need to change or we will lose our collective reputations.
Bloody good point. The figures, if correctly analysed and trended are worrying, very worrying, and mathematically not possible under normal operating conditions.
It is ironic, not surprising, but ironic that CASA aren't worried. Doesn't the Regulator require an operator to do the following:
- Analyse
- Trend
- Mitigate
- Change
- Fix
- Review
etc etc etc?
All as proof that the internal operating system is being monitored, reviewed and improved. All as part of the 'change management' process and improvement, as per the operators SMS? Hmmm.
So let's think about it, Steve and friends have done this, yet CASA turn a blind eye and aren't interested?
It would also indicate the Human Factors training and education isn't working?
It would also indicate the 'Just Culture' component of the organisation isn't working?
Hang on - SMS, HF, Just Culture, all required under the Regulations. I didn't think it was acceptable to not comply with the Regulations?

Aren't Steve and friends identifying 'holes in the Swiss cheese? Latent conditions? And the Regulator and QF management aren't interested? It does beggar belief. And if Steve's data is accurate and QF and CASA won't even listen or act interested then I would say there are some very real concerns here. When was it that the FAA and ICAO were coming back?

Last edited by gobbledock; 10th Nov 2012 at 00:43.