PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malta, the RAF and World War II
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 21:06
MMHendrie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malta, the RAF and World War II

If any of you are able to spend a few days in Malta I would recommend a visit to the Malta Aviation Museum. I spent a week in Malta during October and the island has much to offer anyone interested in aviation and in World War II.

Located at what was RAF Ta' Qali (pronounced Takali), the Museum attracts many enthusiasts who help restore and maintain the exhibits. There are many fascinating exhibits in the Museum including a Swordfish, Hurricane Mk IIA, a Spitfire Mk IX, a Vampire T11 and a Meteor T7. There are other aircraft and parts of aircraft as well as engines, ejection seats, models, diaramas and hundreds of photographs including many covering the RAF in Malta until 1979. While not on the scale of many well-known aviation museums, this one located in a quiet corner of one of World War II's most heavily bombed airfields is well worth a few hours of anyone's time.

If you have more time, visit the National War Museum and the Lascaris War Rooms both of which are in Valetta. The latter was only opened in 2009, having been locked up in 1968 when the NATO HQ left for Naples. It was from here that the air defence of Malta was controlled and the invasion of Sicily planned.

If you want a poignant glimpse into the UK's history in this part of the world during the 19th and 20th Centuries then visit the well maintained and tranquil Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery at Capuccini in Kalkara; it is a treasure.

And why not indulge in a coffee, or something stronger, at the exclusive Xara Place Hotel in Mdina. This was the former Officers' Mess for RAF Ta' Qali and the views from its terrace down to the former airfield and over much of Malta are spectacular.

Next time you are in Malta, rent a car and go explore the RAF's history here. I am sure that you, like me, will not be disappointed. But also find time to pause at the Malta Memorial in Floriana which remembers by name the 2,300 Commonwealth airmen who were lost in the Meditteranean theatre and have no known grave. Long may we remember all of them, but especially at this time of year.