PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you pay for a type rating?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 20:56
TheAeronaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you pay for a type rating?

I've noticed an ever-present (and ever-growing) concern over the cost of type rating training amongst UK pilots.

Further to BALPA's video message recently regarding highly-indebted, poorly remunerated cadet pilots, I wanted to find out approximately what percentage of pilots would be willing to pay for their type rating. I am, of course, referring to the £25,000 fee charged by some locos, in return for a short-term contract. (Being contracted to an airline whilst on reduced wages, I feel, is not the same as this, as the airline takes a greater responsibility for the pilot's career. (Neither is paying cost-price for the type rating!) So we'll class that as not paying for the benefit of this debate).

My main reason for asking is simple; whilst people continue to pay locos hugely over the odds for their type rating, I believe the locos will continue to charge. It is simply another revenue stream for them. If we stop paying, will they stop charging?

So, here's the question: with the industry in it's current state, would you pay in excess of £25,000 for a type rating?

Answers/debate on a postcard please! And please feel free to pick apart my question, I'd like to hear it all...