PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested with gun (merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 22:06
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever guns come up it polarises people into those who accept them as what they are, tools, and those who hate and fear them. Logic goes out the window.

In the US (for example) there are around 30,000 gun deaths (with a population of 275,000,000), including legal shootings, suicides and murders. There are only 1,200 accidents, most in the home ('only' does not mean that it is not important or that we should not do all that we can to prevent such accidents. The NRA has a good safety program aimed at kids but the gun haters refuse to promote it because of the source). I am not aware of any such accidents in public places such as airports or airplanes, and I am sure if such an accident did happen the liberal press would shout it loud and clear. Sure one accident would be one too many, and I am not advocating that everyone should carry a gun on a flight. My point is that if one was to be carried, it would not increase the danger to those who flew on the same flight. They would never even know that the gun was there.
Of course, if some nutter did attempt to take over the airplane in the same manner as 9/11, it might be nice to have that gun, wouldn't it?

I am not a gun owner, but I did have my 12 years military and served in combat. For what that is worth. I do believe that gun control is anti rights and freedoms and is aimed at eventual gun confiscation, as was the case in Aus, UK and soon Canada. And in every one of those cases gun crime has skyrocketted. Even if I hated guns I would have to see, using logic, what was really happening.

Step back from fear and look at the situation logically.