PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal reported Central Otago, NZ
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 15:19
outofwhack

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KryptonJohn: High time fixed wing instructor low time rotary wing - can be a dangerous combination especially in a low inertia rotor machine?
Krypton John,

I find it a little offensive when someone denigrates another persons skills because they have considerable additional skills in another related area.

I suggest a high time fixed wing power pilot, glider pilot, tail-wheel pilot and instructor is much more capable of understanding and adapting to the difference between flying helicopters and fixed wings than someone with no previous flying experience.

I noticed a certain attitude in the industry when I was choosing a helicopter flying school [as an experienced fixed wing pilot]. Just about every school I went to had the opinion that fixed wing time was worthless or worse. I never understood it and I think it totally wrong. Its just another flying machine and you can gather valuable flying experience in any type of aircraft and specially in those that dont rely on an engine and rely on the pilot understanding the air to stay airborne (anyone can drive a motorboat but it takes an extra set of skills to drive a yacht).

As an experienced fixed wing pilot and 600hr rotary I can tell you it is very easy to resist the temptation to fully hold off on landing and maintain skids level.
Only very fresh poorly trained fixed wing pilots might think the proper reaction to a stall is full forward stick. An experienced fixed wing pilot knows that this kind of over-control can result in further stalling but at negative angles of attack and at any airspeed. I can demonstrate a stall in a fixed wing at any speed from zero knots up to Vne.

So, given the experience level of the victim lets not put it down to fixed wing pilots being dangerous in helicopters.

OOW

Last edited by outofwhack; 9th Nov 2012 at 16:47.