PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How fulfilling is the airline route??
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 14:27
Paolo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been flying commercial airliners for nearly 14 years. That is what I set out to do and still enjoy it. I flew light aircraft to qualify for my ATPL licence and always looked at it as a "passport" to get to where I am today.

For me, it was all I ever wanted to do. Going on holiday I looked forward to the flight more than the holiday itself. Used to drive my dad mad, he took his family on holiday and I would be making comment such as "cannot wait til we fly back home". I enjoyed just looking out of the window, gazing at the huge wing and RB211 engine that was holding us aloft......

Now I understand some people enjoy flying light aircraft and really flying the aircraft....but there are plenty of pilots (me included) that enjoy being sat in the LHS (or RHS) of commercial airliners, operating the aircraft through its sophisticated autopilot. I would mind too much if I never flew in a light aircraft again!

There is a huge difference between flying light aircraft for pleasure and flying professionally for an airline...I just prefer airline flying!