PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson Dash Noeswheel Report
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 14:20
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote HF 3000

.....I know better than the manufacturer so I elect to shut the engine down anyway and then I have to land at the nearest available airport. When an engineer is ferried out there and the passengers have spent the night sleeping on the floor of the terminal it turns out to be a gauge malfunction and I am looking for another job

Well HF 3000 ...Welcome to the world of being a Captain,if your not up to making those types of decisions then you shouldnt be in the seat.....nothing personal,

Hindsight...20/20...monday morning halfbacking....very easy to do in this situation....Most operating manuals have a disclaimer that "all" situations cannot be accounted for and that the "PIC" HAS THE FINAL AUTHORITY to the operation of that A/C...................preaching to the choir???

Could this crew have done more??? I believe so...the outcome might not have been different,,,,,,Ive flown the Dash series...100/200/Dash 7.....never had a lot of issues with this A/C except for the D7........and just about always flew around on 3 ENGINES,because of "gauge malfunctions"........which I might add,...according to the engineer,on the ground...."COULD NOT BE DUPLICATED"..........

I hate the idea of "hanging" pilots....some deserve it.......I have crashed 3 A/C(all in alaska)...207/402/twin otter..........all FAA/NTSB investigated,and all situations I was exonerated,due to their particular circumstances........so I feel I,m in a position to comment.......the C-402 was a landing gear issue,similar to the DH-8........MY POINT?????..... from every one of these situations ...after the fact .....and in consultation with the feds,NTSB and more experienced pilots.........I COULD HAVE DONE MORE.........That is something I learned and valued....and it still holds true today........

I do know what its like to bang one up,be dragged through the mud by the company and Authorities.......and have to be held accountable......and reading this report,indicates to me that the crew had time to investigate this issue further.......but that decision ultimately lies with the PIC.......if the crew "did the right thing" as some have alluded...they will now surely learn from this outcome

......do not confine yr thinking and flying of an A/C to just that of the Ops manual/QRH/Company culture........their are always other avenues

Last edited by pakeha-boy; 9th Nov 2012 at 14:35.