PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 12:45
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
II - yes, many years ago we used to have a mixed fleet of S61, SA330, AS332L, B214ST, S76 in Aberdeen. Then it was realised that a single fleet would allow cost reductions because only 1 set of pilots, engineers, 1 pool of spares etc. An accountant's dream.

But now the old lessons have been re-learnt and the single fleet concept is seen as high risk in the event of a grounding such as we have. The future will involve more mixed fleets - that is until the current guard, soon to be old guard, fall off their perches and then the shiny new accountants and business school graduates will make the same mistakes all over again!

SAS - alas no more age discrimination for conversions and I potentially have 9 years left in me so it cannot be ruled out! However it seems we will have some alternatives such as 139, 189, 175 so I may yet be able to stave off the dreaded Shorts 360 bus with bolt on rotors and a dining table on the tailboom!

But hopefully I will be the last of the dying breed of 225 pilots, left to fly single pilot and then turn out the lights at the end...

Last edited by HeliComparator; 9th Nov 2012 at 12:45.