PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DME Moscow Airport briefing
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 12:36
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its Domodedovo they usually land on 14R and take off on 14L. In the other direction it's landing on 32R T/O on 32L. The most northerly runway is very rough. ATC is quite good actually but accent can be a problem. FL's are now standard in feet above the TA but bellow you are given the altitude in meters. You get a very large number of frequency changes due to Russian airspace being divided up in altitude bands. This is especially true on T/O, be ready to get the AP in and a good suggestion is to use V/S to reduce the workload. I had something like 9 frequencies in 14 mins. On arrival you follow on of the SID's usually which routes round to the north of the city. Don't cut any corners because you can't overfly Moscow. ATC will not cut you short but they will expect you to intercept the LOC and GS once you are put onto a intercept. On vacating the runway which is usually well cleared (do check because sometimes its 30m and can be slippy) a follow me car will meet you and take you to stand. When you do your walk round don't be tempted to lick anything because your tongue will stick and when really cold it burns your hands. You have to surrender your passport to the guard to do your walk round just in case you make a bid for freedom. Once ready call and they will ask if you need deciding and push you to a de icing area and then attack you from both sides very quickly and efficiently. Start up and taxi out as normal, considering delaying the flap due contamination if that's your SOP. That's about it really. The main thing is build yourself extra time and thus SA and always cross check your metric altitude with your colleague before inputting it. It's a interesting place, fly safe.

Note: this info is based on my experience and SOP's in use at the time. Offered as friendly advice. Please check you companies SOP's and policy.