PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane missing en route YCAB?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 11:39
CHAIRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right Captain.
But back in 1985, when i wanted to get a CIR in a single, I was almost laughed at...............CIR's were only for real pilots that flew twins.
I also saw many pilots lining up for renewals in twins that couldn't afford to fly them between renewals and were that far behind the aircraft, that I stuck with my single rating, since that's what I flew. and reckoned I was a lot safer.
At that time the CIR was a hard slog, and particularly the theory was designed to discourage all but the totally committed - there were several I knew that did much of the flying, couldn't be bothered with the theory, and blasted off nonetheless into IFR. Idiots of course, but they had no other option than the full CIR theory course to obtain any kind of instrument rating.
I got the rating for my private/business flying safety and kept it current for 20 years. My flying these days is VFR. I have a PIFR but would never use it in anger without getting current, and a check ride.
I reckon the PIFR is a good thing........the intent behind it is good...........but it's not pushed by the schools, probably because most of the newbie instructors reckon it's for wimps.
Would be interesting to see the stats for PIFR's issued compared to CIR's.
Either of these ratings will reinforce the value of recency to remain safe.

PIFR is a damn sight better than 3 hrs IF for a private licence.