PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Malaga Roster and new bases
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 09:32
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dannyagilla

You could not be more wrong about me being in the pay of MOL ! You are mistaking me seeing the situation as it is for loyalty to Ryanair/MOL.

I see the employment/ contract situation clearly as it is as we speak, I don't confuse it with what I would like it to be.

The big problem with pilots is that a few years back a few rich kids decided to buy type ratings to get ahead in the business, it worked for the first few but quite quickly the bean counters decided that along with the seats in the cabin they could sell the right hand seat to some young hopeful.

The Ryanair situation is the distillation of that attitude and only when the young and misinformed stop paying for all their training will the situation change.

The first indications of things changing is that the banks in the UK will no longer give unsecured loans for pilot training, along with the realization that the job is not what it was will result in a pilot shortage over the next ten years or so.

Only when this bites and airlines have to invest their own money in pilot training will airlines start to offer a remuneration package aimed at retaining pilots, at the moment they don't need to because some sucker will come along and pay to become a first officer.

From the captain perspective we can see the light at the end of the tunnel with Ryanair taking type rated captains and only asking for a training bond rather than the money up front as was the case until quite recently.

I have to ask, did you pay for a type rating?

Last edited by A and C; 9th Nov 2012 at 10:41.