PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Seat belts don't matter,” said Michael O’Leary, chief executive of Ryanair.
Old 9th Nov 2012, 05:17
air doris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't post here often but this has made news headlines in Australia and for all the wrong reasons. Is this guy for real? A CEO of a very successfull airline pretty much publicly stating that saftey doesn't matter when flying with RyanAir. Has he completely lost the plot? I think he finally has and ludicrous headline comments to get RyanAir publicity may now come back to bite him. Clear Air Turbulance is one of the biggest killers of airline passengers and crew who are not restrained by a seatbelt, look at QF at Learmonth for example and may other in flight incidents. Those restrained by seatbelts remain relatively safe but those unrestrained are severely injured or worse. I do agree with his argument that trains are not required to be fitted with seat belts, thats something I have always had a problem with however instead of thinking thats ok be proactive and say it's not ok. RyanAir, luckily has been without serious incident so far. His comments will definatly suggest to me that it's now not a safe airline with a CEO saying seatbelts "don't matter." What a stupid and irresponsible comment. Safety and welfare of his passengers and crew is obviously not top of his agenda. However, people will continue to fly them over an airline that takes safety very seriously because they are cheap. Do people actually realise it's not a bus or train? Obviously not.