PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Credits for ATPL exams ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 19:51
Island Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think! If the CAA gave credits they wouldn't make as much MONEY!!

CPL Theory:

Air Law
Aircraft General Knowledge
Flight Performance and Planning
Human Performance and Limitations
Meteorology
Navigation
Operational Procedures
Principles of Flight
Communications

The course consists of 200 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction.

I don't know whether or not you would have to do all these hours, having already studied some of these subjects at ATPL level, however as you studied with BGS, I imagine you would have to do the entire CPL approved course, because there are only 2 schools listed on the CAA website which offer the CPL theory:
Atlantic Flight Training and Cranfield Aviation Training School.

I'm not entirely sure about 'ATPL to CPL' credits, because I've only looked at it the other way around, however I wouldn't be surprised if you can't get any credits. Certainly 'CPL to ATPL' the CAA don't give any credits, despite some of the subjects being very similar, eg Principles of Flight and Communications.

If you were to swap to the CPL theory, and subsequently complete the IR Theory at a later date, the CPL and IR would not equal an ATPL, despite the fact that I can find virtually no fundamental difference between the CPL/IR theory, and the ATPL theory.

Therefore, if you are sure that you only want to go as far as CPL level, then fine, but if you think you might want to get an ATPL in the future, then I would advise that you stick with the ATPL theory now, because even with a CPL/IR you would have to re-study everything in order to make it into an ATPL.

IH

Last edited by Island Hopper; 25th Jan 2003 at 11:03.