PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying down the florida keys
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 19:04
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again. I think I'll refuel either before setting off own the keys at Tamiami, or at Marathon. The fuel is supposed to be VERY expensive at EYW - not really surprising, and re-fuelling beforehand will mean I can get back if for some reason I have to turn around.

Carb. Yep, definatley ditched the straight over-water idea (pun?). Too boring if northing else. Not sure what you mean about not being able to do it - if you're referring to the ADIZ, I check this out in the FAR's and the only requirement is constant radio contact with controllers and a flightplan including entry and exit time from the ADIZ (to the nearest 5 minutes). Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm by no means an expert!

Yes, Everglads City has a short runway (comparitavley), but it's nearly twice the length of the grass runway I first soloed on over here! Kind of looking forward to a bit of a challenge. I hear the real problem is the mosquitoes along the wooded path into town.

Gonville, Cedar Key was also on my 'wish list' but with a limited time, and budget, it has to be Key West! Perhaps if the weather down there doesn't look too good, I may go north to Cedar instead. I'll save the east coast until next time - plan to go to Vero Beach too, to tour the Piper factory. Do you know if it's still possible to overfly the shuttle landing facility?

Talking of weather - my international flight home is the next morning after the EYW trip - who wants to give odds on me being stranded down there by an unseasonal freak storm or somthing and having to leave the a/c and drive the 5 or 6 hours back to Naples!