PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conscientious Objection
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 18:58
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Otis

The Canberra captain at Nicosia did not just abort his mission. He raised the gear on the ground and thereby sabotaged one of HM aircraft. IMHO he got off lightly.

Most of those who doubt the morality or wisdom of a possible second Gulf war seem to do so because they think the evidence of Iraqi WMD lacks substance. In 1991 the casus belli was the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, which was plain for all the world to witness. This time the evidenece is intelligence-based and, as is always with intelligence, the raw material cannot be revealed or the sources would cease to exist very quickly (and horribly). You have to trust those who have implicitly underwritten the intelligence assessments.

Personally, having hung around the MOD for a few years after I retired, I cannot bring myself to believe that Blair, Straw and Hoon could conspire to pull the wool over the public's eyes in order to curry favour with Bush and get away with it. There are just too many men of the highest integrity they would have to take with them for such a ploy to succeed.

If the evidence supporting continued Iraqi WMD manufacture/acquisition was too slight or conjectural to justify the commitment of the British armed forces, I am certain that by now these great men would have blown the gaff. We might have seen a letter to The Times signed by CDS, the COS, the Cabinet Secretary, the Chairman of JIC and the DGs of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ (and of course the Archbishop of Canterbury!). Try sacking that lot!