PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Nervous Flyer Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 15:12
VS-Toga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the nervous pax on here:

I do not want to worry you, as, as an example, I had 8 driving lessons before being let loose in a car. It takes c. 1500 hours to get an ATPL!!!

So, qwe are trained pro's, fear not.

But if you're still nervous, knowing you've done everything you can, can help you- Here's some things to do to help you.

1. The majority of aircraft 'incidents' take place not in the sky, but on the ground! Mostly smoke and fire related.
2. Do not, for one minute, underestimate, the effect of smoke and fire in these situations. Withing seconds, your eyelids will seal due to the plastic fumes and within a few more, you'll asphixiate.
3. Re above- 2 key things you can do. a) count precisely the seat backs fore and aft towards the emercency exits. Remember these, because if you have an incident, panic will ensue and it'll be as dark as a dark night on the dark side of the moon! b) This sounds silly, but it's true. Carry a large clear plastic bac (ziplock perfect). If smoke and fire happen, shove it over your head. it'll give you about a minute of O2 and it will prevent the plastic in the fumes sealing your eyelids up.
4. LISTEN TO THE CABIN CREW. They are trained professionals, not glorified waiters and they will do their job to the bitter end. I know that.
5. If you don't believe me re above, google Airtours incident Manchester. 90 seconds to destroy a perfectly good BAC 111.

Last edited by VS-Toga; 8th Nov 2012 at 15:15.