PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 12:36
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAA asked whether they were satisfied with the LHR HS2 link being included in Phase 2 - and BAA replied YES; so there is no point now moaning about the late connection.
The only way they would reply an unqualified "yes" would be if they really didn't think it would make that much difference. Otherwise, of course they would want the link asap.

Personally I was (and still am) a supporter of the Arup Heathrow hub proposal for an interchange / terminal on the GWR between Iver & West Drayton. Interestingly Heathrow hub Ltd are one of the parties in the HS2 judicial review due to take place before Xmas.

With a further HS2 Phase 3 extension past Manchester, Leeds & Newcastle now being considered by the new Transport Secretary
I have always been deeply critical of HS2 as it stands, namely because, from the point of view of air to rail modal shift, it delivers next to nothing. I have always felt that going to EDI / GLA in this respect would be a game changer. However, all I have seen so far is that PM wants to speed up the build process (who wouldn't apart from the builders)?

I have seen so suggestion that there will be a phase 3, so we have to continue to evaluate HS2 for what is being proposed, not what might happen by 2112.

Also, for clarification - HS2 PH2 will go to Leeds + join ECML somewhere around York, not Newcastle either, although that bit has at least been costed.

In terms of train substitution it is thought HSR (HS1+HS2) could eventually take between 10% and 20% of LHR's existing atms to UK and near EU airports.
There is no such thing as "it is thought". Either you do some modelling and come up with a range of figures for the spin doctors to massage or you otherwise might as well just roll a dice.