PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progress Flight Academy SA
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 12:12
Llen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey heuyguy

I'm a bit out of the loop with regards flying as I've not flown for over a year now - economics and all that. i was only aware of this post when i got the email notification.

My time in SA was awesome but I will caveat that by saying that my intentions were never to go commercial - more of a life experience. Whilst I was over there they had a base in Victoria West which I believe has closed now but I've not kept up to date to be honest. I did all my training bar a few days in Victoria West but the Port Elizabeth base was pretty good.

When I was there they had training contracts with various south african airlines and kenya airways. I feel the training I recieved was very good and the best syndication of that was on my return to the UK. I joined Aeros in Filton and needed a few hours orientation flight before i could go solo in the UK. The instructors were very impressed with the standard on my flying but also the checks and general flight management that I had been taught. When I renewed my licence in 2009, the South African registered examiner also made this comment (Irv Lee - look him up, very good guy who may be able to offer you advice).

If I was to look back objectively the main negative was the delay and backlog but I have no idea if this is an issue now. The main 'rival school' at the time was 43rd and I don't know if that's the case anymore but that has a reputation as another top notch school.

What you will gain from training in SA is a high stanard of training with a licence similar to that in the UK for a lot less money (there was 16 rand to the pound when i was there). You will also get an experienec of a beautiful country that will live with you forever (I'll never forget navigating solo around the semi arid karoo desert, landing on deserted strip miles from anywhere).

I hope this helps but like I said I went in 2008 and I'm sure plenty will have changed since then.

llen