PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook Fleet Reduction
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 10:54
Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowjet, your opinions seem to have been formed as a result of what you experienced in the 70s and, frankly, I'd probably have come to the same position myself.

But things have changed and perhaps you should look again at the world around you. Although you may have been clever enough to negotiate for yourself some really good terms and conditions, try that today as a contractor with Ryanair and see how far you get. The young men and women starting out today are being thoroughly exploited by the management of these 'low cost' airlines and individually they can do nothing about it. They will only improve their lot by acting collectively; something they have obviously failed to do.

We in TCX are lucky enough to have an agreement that sees the Company obliged to negotiate with our professional body; BALPA. We live in the real world (not a half forgotten world of three day working weeks, electricity cuts, Scargill and Red Robbo) and membership of a Union does not make that go away, it does not immunize you from change. It does however give you a voice, a say in the process of change and a counterweight to management excess.

The BALPA CC in TCX cannot undo the damage done by the incompetent management of recent years but they can try to ensure that the changes necessary are shaped in such a way that our Airline remains the great place to work for pilots that it is now, even in the midst of all this crap; an aim un achievable acting individually.

And before before anybody accuses me of being a BALPA stooge I must state that beyond being a member I have little else to do with the Association. I simply believe that we must try to speak to 'Management' with one voice.