PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet flexicrew as proportion of total flight crew
Old 8th Nov 2012, 10:05
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is our CEO's openly-stated policy that she wants easyJet to offer permanent contracts to all pilots after 2 years as flexicrew - if BALPA will sign up to the offer about to be made. The problem is that the offer about to be be made is not the same as the one our permanent pilots currently enjoy. Not unreasonably in my opinion, BALPA will be reluctant to accept a deal on behalf of the flexicrew pilots that massively reduces their remuneration over several years. Possibly not surprisingly we have a potential impasse here. It will come as no surprise to find out that the Company blame BALPA for 'not being available' over the summer to discuss the matter due to the changing over of the Company Council. Whether that is true or not is open to debate, but the end result is that the flexicrew issue has risen to be THE issue that affects everything at easyJet. Having heard all sides of the argument, my own view is that there will have to be some considerable compromise on both sides.

Love it or hate it, there is massive downward pressure on airline salaries throughout the whole industry and easyJet has to compete. Therefore I expect the final agreement to accept some form of reduction in terms and conditions in order to get the rump of flexicrew pilots onto permanent contracts within the company. I do not expect either party to be overwhelmingly excited at the results but that probably means the deal will be about right. There is still a lot of water to go under the bridge, and it is clear to everyone that a deal must be in place quickly - whether that can be achieved remains to be seen. Once again, I back BALPA 100% and see any delay as simply a sign they are fighting tooth and nail for the best result they can achieve given the limitation of their legal room to manoeuvre.