PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decisions, Decisions.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 18:02
Autofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russ,

I'll share a bit of my experience with you. I am 26 soon (and have got to apply to the CTC scheme quick!!!) and like you have wanted to be a commercial pilot for ages. I didn't start my PPL until after i'd been to uni because of financial constraints. But have no had one for just over two years

When I finished uni the first thing I did was to apply to BA and I didn’t even get through to the first round of selection and I convinced myself it was because I had no flying experience. Between receiving the “thanks but no thanks” letter from BA I started my PPL and low and behold the next time I applied to a sponsorship scheme I got through to the selection (to fall flat on my face granted). Every sponsorship scheme I applied for subsequent I got through to the selection and was fortunate enough to get down to the final interview with one but didn’t get anywhere. I am not saying that having a few hours definitely helped because I cannot prove that.

Of course this all means nothing at the moment because there are very few airline sponsorships out there now so as you say, go to uni and do your degree which will stand you in good stead in later life should you need to fall back on it. Remember, there are quite a few pilots who don’t start their training until their in their 40’s and beyond. One thing both you and I have on our side is time.

There are a couple of things you could be doing though – go and see if your uni has an air squadron. If so, join it!!!! If you never get into a plane, you’ll be amongst like minded people. Joining the air squadron is something I never did and regret it. Also, get hold of some good aviation literature for example, D.P. Davies’ “Handling the Big Jets.” I have a copy and it’s a good read. Without any PPL knowledge you may find it a bit tough going so maybe get yourself a few PPL books – the technical book for example.

Hope this is of help mate. If your in Bakewell at the moment, you’re not a million miles from me so maybe a beer is called for or even a spot of flying. Drop me a mail if you fancy. Good luck anyhow.

Cheers
Auto.