PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGNOS approaches in Europe
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 07:56
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I mean are the LPV approaches with minima down to 250 ft AGL, requiring a SBAS receiver. I agree that EGJA (Alderney) has such approaches.
Well the issue of terminology may well lead you to the answer to your question.

Most LNAV approaches in Europe can be flown to LNAV minima with an advisory glideslope using an SBAS (EGNOS) receiver. The advisory glideslope offers a significant part of the safety benefit.

Further, EASA proposes to allow flight to LNAV/VNAV minima with a glideslope using an SBAS (EGNOS) receiver as well as using BaroVNAV. My understanding is that that has been allowed in the US for a long time, but there's an issue for EASA in whether the approaches were designed with angular guidance taken into account.

If you look at the Brest GNSS approaches to 07R, you'll see why relatively few airports have gone to the trouble of LPV. The LPV DH is 300 ft, the LNAV and LNAV/VNAV (M)DH 370 ft.

Alderney is an even better example: LPV DH is 300 ft, LNAV (M)DH is 340 ft. No LNAV/VNAV minima are published. 300 -> 340 ft takes you from a minimum RVR of 900 m to a minimum of 1100 m. So the operational value of LPV over LNAV is limited, and the difference in safety value is minimal now we have "LNAV+V" advisory glideslopes.

So the answer to your OP is that there are hundreds or thousands of "EGNOS approaches" flown every day in Europe, but little incentive to go to the trouble of coding a FAS datablock and making it LPV.