PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie questions
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 03:59
syncrofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

I think I finally have a legitimate reason to get into small aircraft and am trying to do some basic research. Hoping to find the right board to discuss the kind of things someone new needs.

For example:

For my practical application I'd like to be able to fly between the SF bay area and Northeastern Washington roughly 800 miles by car... I'm sure there is a better way to calculate.

I'd like to get there on one tank of gas and in less than 4 hours in a single engine aircraft. Half the time lightly loaded but once skilled I want to bring 2-5 passengers.

From what very little I know it seems like Cirrus and Cessna aircraft are the likely options for something that may carry me the distance and manufacture a plane I may buy in the futyre. But not having faced headwinds and calculated gas, or the terror of facing down unexpected.weather trying to figure out whether this 'practical' use makes any sense.

Given time and expense don't want to.miscalculate... Figure ill have more time later in life if its just for fun.

There is a lot more on my mind than the limitations of the aircraft. Is there a better online forum for aspiring pilots like myself?

Any advice appreciated.

K