PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Left hand pain from flying C150!
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2012, 09:11
alex2kdl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left hand pain from flying C150!

Hello,

I am quite close to completing my PPL but I have a "mechanical" problem with my body! In the past I took lessons on a C172. On this plane, even during airport circuits, I could easily trim, power required little adjustment and in windy/turbulent conditions the plane was quite stable. This meant I was never holding the yoke too tightly and I had two hands to choose from.

Recently, I switched to a C150. I did a lot of circuits on it; at some point I was doing 7 a day, every day. Here, my right hand clearly needs to stay on the throttle at all times. The engine is weak and the RPM changes frequently. Also, on take off and final, the plane feels light and i find it requires a good grip on the yoke. I also find this plane harder to trim.

The point is that after a few weeks of trianing on the C150, my left hand is in bad pain whenever I try to squeeze anything with it. I have sharp pain whenever I touch the bone my middle finger stems from; and some times this pain extends towards my thumb.

Has anybody else had such a problem out of flying a light plane in windy/turbulent conditions? What's the best thing to do? Trim as well as possible and fly with the right hand as much as possible?

Good thing my instructor will be gone for a week. However, I am expected to start flying solo when her gets back...don't think I'll be able to with such a left hand :-S

Thanks a lot for any feedback!